The lack of integrity in Ananias and Sapphira cost them their lives. Let’s consider some other consequences of failing to build integrity into our lives.
- A lack of integrity causes CONFUSION. No one wants to be thought of as a liar, a cheat or a con artist, but if we continually practice these things, we will lose the trust of others. This is where this week’s memory verse comes into play. It is a constant reminder that if I lie, I displease the Lord in a mighty way!
- A lack of integrity hinders your CALLING. The greatest act anyone can do is to tell others about salvation in Jesus Christ. A character of dishonesty will cause non-believers to scoff at your testimony. Why would an unbeliever want to be saved when his own ethics are greater than that of the Christians he knows?
- A lack of integrity causes CYNICISM. Non-believers will become skeptical about all Christians. Have you ever noticed that no one acts shocked when a government official is caught drunk, on drugs, or in an illicit sexual relationship? However, let a pastor or prominent Christian be caught with the slightest blemish, and it’s big news. Why? Because we are held accountable by the message we proclaim.
- A lack of integrity brings reproach on our CHURCH. Once I was inviting a businessman to our church. When I told him our name, he smirked and said, “I know _______ goes there, so you’ll never see me.”
- A lack of integrity wounds your family CAMARADERIE. Not only will dishonesty hinder your testimony, hurt your business and diminish your church, it will tear down your family.