A verifiable test of salvation is the working of the Holy Spirit. Did you know that the Holy Spirit gives us intimacy with God?
Romans 8:15 says, “For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption whereby we cry, ‘Abba, Father.'” “Abba” is an Aramaic word that conveys deep intimacy. The English equivalent is “Daddy.” It is by the presence of the Spirit that you draw close to God.
How do you know that the Holy Spirit abides within you? Is the test a warm fuzzy in your stomach or a tear in your eye? No, those are merely emotional responses. As the third person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit will lead you to become more like Christ. Here is a quick inventory of the Spirit’s work.
1. The Spirit will testify of Jesus (John 14:16).
2. The Spirit will teach you and help you remember truth (John 14:26). 3. The Spirit will build up the church (Acts 9:31).
4. The Spirit will bring you pure joy (Romans 14:17).
5. The Spirit will bear righteous fruit in your life (Galatians 5:22-23).
6. The Spirit will give you hope (Romans 15:13).
7. The Spirit will reveal truth (I Corinthians 2:9-10).
8. The Spirit will glorify Christ (John 16:14).
9. The Spirit will gift you for ministry (I Corinthians 12).
10.The Spirit will guide you in all truth (John 16:13).
The role of the Spirit is to conform the believer to the image of Christ, the work of sanctification. Is that happening in your life?